Our client reflected how it was managing its national property portfolio and recognised it was in need of substantial change.
Concerns were widespread and included:
- Records not being stored centrally
- No direct links between new developments and maintenance services
- The in-house manager owned much of the risk, but had no empowerment financially or functionally
- Under investment in property, the portfolio was leading to a failing and aging stock
- The client recognised it was at a crossroads as environmental scanning had revealed a changing landscape for the client’s core business (a mix of community housing and specialist hospital based care).
A new direction was needed, including improvements and development within the estates dept. They partnered with ESG for a fast time review.
Using a diagnostic approach ESG not only confirmed those aspects identified already, but discovered underlying issues that would help with resolution.
The findings and feedback enabled clear aims and strategic objectives to be set out, and an improvement plan developed addressing the following areas:
- Structural changes for effective management and clear lines of communication and accountability
- Prioritisation of the recently completed stock condition survey to ensure expectations and budget were aligned
- Procurement of a CAFM system for effective estate management
ESG has provided ongoing support for effective implementation of these changes.
The Strategic Lead now receives regular positive feed back from service managers as to the whole of the estates team’s performance in supporting the front line.
“We were introduced to ESG approximately a year ago, at which point they undertook a broad strategic review of the Trust’s management of its estate.
Since that time they have provided further strategic expertise and expertise in the practical aspects in delivering the agreed strategy to the organisation.
This has required knowledge and contacts in several different areas, ranging from specific building and refurbishment and broader development projects, to investigating possible strategic partners for longer term initiatives. At all times ESG has been excellent to work with, providing its service with quiet efficiency.”
– Company Secretary and Strategic Lead